Friday, May 22, 2009

A Walk




It seems like almost overnight the lily pads have bloomed on the lake. Trees and other plant life have exploded along the shoreline, nearly blocking out the view of the water in certain places. With the green leaves and foliage adding new scents all around the lake shore, summer has finally gained a foothold in the upper midwest. As I walk along the pathway, I take off my headphones and notice that the croaking of frogs has increased from a few weeks ago, again I welcome the sounds as a sign of summer's long awaited return. Rounding the corner, I see two familiar families; adult geese watch me intently as their rapidly growing young dig at the ground, eating whatever it is that they eat. I stop on the path about 10 feet away from the feeding geese and make eye contact with the biggest goose, as he seems to be the one in charge of granting me safe passage. I turn my back slightly towards the feeding families as I take my first tentative steps in their direction, watching as the other geese lead their brood a few feet in the other direction. The young never stop eating as they follow. Like every other time, I pass without incident, resuming my normal pace as I look back at them one more time. Ahead, a small wooden footbridge spans a trickle of a stream that flows to the lake. I stop for a minute and marvel at how clear the water is; I've often thought about dipping my bottle into the crystal clear waters but being in the city, I never do. I am covered in shadows now when I stand in the middle of the bridge, only a few weeks ago I was bathed in sunlight standing in the exact same spot. I watch as a big bumble bee zig zags his way through life. When I reach the northeast corner of the lake, I scan the waters close to shore, looking for a giant snapper who likes to hang out in the shallow waters along with his smaller cousins. It's good to see so many turtles. As I leave the path and head back onto the city streets, I put my headphones back on and continue on my way, thanking God for giving me a great day.



No comments: